Friday, December 09, 2005

All non-essential humans ..stay home..

You know when you wake up in the morning and after a few seconds of catching your bearings you suddenly remember ..hey, it's supposed to be snowing now.
That's what happened to me this morning. I jolted up, opened the blinds and its...raining?
So here I am..all stocked up with piles of firewood, bags of chestnuts, 3 new sleds and a new pair of gloves...and this storm is a no show.
I turn on the radio and although I've heard this announcement many times in the past, it suddenly struck me as a little bizarre. "All non-essential workers..please stay off the roads today". Now..how exactly do you know if you're non-essential or not? Imagine working at a firm for 10 years just to find out you're "non-essential"? I mean if you view yourself as non essential why bother coming in on a sunny day?
That got me thinking..How many of us are essential in our every day life?
How essential am I to my kids?
How can I make myself an essential person to as many people as possible?

Some thoughts to ponder while I shovel the slush....